Monday, November 3, 2008

Get this baby out of me!

The other day I was asked if I did anything to help start labor with Leala. This is actually kinda funny.. I had been walking for weeks. I tried walking as much as possible, even though the last two weeks, my feet and ankles had blown up. We would take walks through military housing to my friend's house (which was a mile away). We would also go down to Bay Street, where there's a park, overlooking the water. It was harder for me to walk there, since there were all these bench swings to stop and sit on.. haha... I would power walk though.. Told Kevin to walk faster and to hold my hand, so I could just shut my eyes and it didn't seem like I was walking as much.. lol.

Well, it was the day 2 days before my due date, and I was determined not to carry this baby past my due date! The whole time I was pregnant, I thought she would be a small baby and that she would be early... Obviously I was wrong about both of those assumptions! haha!

Anyway, it was 2 days before my due date, so we went down to Bay Street and walked as much as I could. My feet hurt, my ankles hurt, my legs hurt, my back hurt. I couldn't do it anymore.. After we got home and ate that night, I told Kevin that I was going to take a hot bath. I knew that was supposed to help, so I figured I'd try.

I start the water in the bath, to find out that our water heater had finally gone out.. I was beyond upset. I had already had 3 people come out to look at it, but it being military housing, no one really cared.

So picture me, pregnant and huge (I mean HUGE!) wanting to take a hot bath to get this baby out of me, and there's no hot water.

What did I do, you ask?

I told Kevin, he better get started on boiling some water, that I was going to have a hot bath, no matter what it took... So there we were with all our biggest pots on the burners, boiling water. I think did 3 or 4 cycles of all pots in the bathtub before I even got in. After I got in, I had him continue to boil water, and to add them into the tub as they were done.. Obviously, I had mixed in some of the water from the faucet too.

While I sat in the bathtub (being huge and pregnant), I had a cold bottle of water with me, and a cold washcloth on my head, and made Kevin bring his office chair in the bathroom, so he could sit with me.. haha.. I sat there for a total of about 30 minutes. I just couldn't take it anymore after that.

That night, I went to sleep in the recliner in the living room, while Kevin slept on the couch (I couldn't sleep in our bed anymore.. It was just too uncomfortable). During the night at some point, I had moved down to the floor, and slept on a little mat we had. 7:11 the next morning, I had my first contraction.. then another one at 7:20... then another one at 7:28...

*That picture was taken at 39 weeks.. she was born on her due date a week later.*


Baseballs and Tutu's said...

Love the bathtub story!!! That's hilarious..never heard one quite like that :) Gotta love your decisiveness!

He And Me + 3 said...

What a great story! You looked so cute pregnant. At least she wasn't past her due date! Mine were all a little early, so I was lucky like that.

Jennifer said...

You know. . you should have came to my house to take a bath. . ha ha. . I am sure you had a key!